Saturday, March 24, 2007

OK Computer People: Read This...












...a little bird from up in Sacramento shot me a message yesterday telling me that at the stroke of midnight it would be National Shutdown Daywhich is, for all intents and purposes, an agreement to go off the grid, get up, get into it and get involved IRL-- a day with no computer-tainted experiences...

...I thought long and hard about what the necessity for a day like this suggests and found it to be alarming-- that it's gotten so bad that it's actually considered on the serious tip. Too, as if following some digital cue issued by said little birdie mentioned above, my DSL modem (that I bought with a 1 year warranty from my ISP when I switched to it last year) unceremoniously bought the farm in the wee hours yesterday and I've since learned that I have to buy a new one (my warranty expired in January-- I'll raise a toast to planned obsolesence)...I thanked my stars that I can go wireless on my MacBook or would I?

The fact that I made this post suggest that I ultimately did get online during the shut down...and am unapologetic...I won't totally write off the root of the whole affair, though. I see a point in reminding people to get a life beyond their keyboard's reach, especially if you've got a little crumb-snatcher or two and they want to hang out with their parental figure (better hook that shite up now while you can...or get acquainted with the lyrics to Harry Chapin's (not Cat Stevens') "Cat's in the Cradle" ...

...I've gotten yelled at in the past for spending way too many hours in the QWERTY position (as recently as two nights ago) but that's just me, I write and I don't fancy long-hand (my penmanship stinks so bad that even I can't read my notes if the thoughts are rolling)...all of that said, I will make an effort to get out there and do more (I'm writing this post outside drinkin' a pint and enjoying the California sun in my own way-- baby steps, son)...too, I will try to remember to step away from the laptop and have a little more active fun when I'm not working because this ain't no dress rehearsal (and I don't want to find out just before I check out)...hey, Mike the Knife (a journo buddy of mine who, ironically, I met on my music blog) just zapped me on the blower, he's in town...I think I'll link up and shoot the shite face to face or something...if you can't tear yourself away from your computer for a whole day, try it in smaller increments and see what happens...if you're ever in Los Angeles, shoot me a message...and we'll get together then...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home