Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I KNEW there was a reason I missed New York City!

























...Back when I lived in New York, the installation artist Spencer Tunick took one of his infamous mass nude photos in Times Square (I worked a couple of blocks over in a building on Madison-- if I'd known there would be no brown bodies in there, I might've bum rushed the spot)...this was a decade and change before I'd ever hear of Britain's Banksy but I think the two are going in similar directions with their work...check this video which was shot when Tunick captured the picture above...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Tackabery said...

I dunno Crash. He calls his stuff "flesh architecture" but I see almost no design and no meaning, other than the stripping of eroticism from the human form, or worse, the stripping of humanity from the human form, which is even more dangerous. The first time I saw one of his Times Square pictures, I thought of concentration camp victims from the Holocaust. I guess to me the human body is the one thing that shouldn't be manipulated like just another piece of material. I know people with tattoos would disagree with me, but I think tattoos are something different than this. This just seems to me to be - something different and novel, which gets him money and attention. More power to him, I guess. But it doesn't strike me as artistic.

5:50 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Crash Pryor said...

...that you even considered all of the above in the contexts that you mentioned is what, in mine eyes, makes me know that what he, Banksy and all other thought-provoking artists are doing is such artistically is such...it's SUPPOSED to make you think...it's subjective, NOT normal...that's why I like it...

5:59 PM, May 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home