Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Sweet Sounds of Saturnine: Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions

...The other day I wrote a post re: re-acquiring a copy of Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See album and got pointed to some Warm Inventions stuff. Subsequently, I copped the Bavarian Fruit Bread LP and the Suzanne EP and I must say that my affinity for the saturnine sensibilities that Sandoval utilized to maximum effect on Mazzy's "Fade into You" has only expounded. On Bavarian Fruit Bread (cover pictured left) the cuts to sample before you purchase are "Suzanne", "On the Low", "Clear Day" and the set-closer, "Lose Me on the Way" the other cuts will grow on you (the title track, by the way, is an instrumental interlude that lasts about 1:21)...The Suzanne EP contains four cuts that support a title track from the Bavarian Fruit Bread set and though I used to hate it when EPs got presented like this in the past, packaged with slices that should've just been added to the proper album, the times have changed since the days when vinyl was the coin of the realm as iTunes makes it possible to sidestep getting saddled with extra trackage- "I Thought You'd Fall for Me" and "Friends of a Smile" are the cuts I've been enjoying from this EP most continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home