Monday, December 11, 2006

Curtis Mayfield: Superfly Fantistic!

I was just checking Massive Attack's Blue Lines LP and when I got to "Be Thankful for What You've Got" I felt like chillaxin' on the scene in a gangsta lean...the time was nigh for a little pimp-tastic funk, so I immediately clicked over to Curtis Mayfield's Superfly Soundtrack when that Hammond B-3 started bubbling at the top of "Little Child Runnin' Wild" my shirt collars got longer and my Nikes turned into platform boots...Curtis Mayfield was on fire when he sat down and plucked out the cuts on this joint which is chock-a-bloc with funk classics that have been sampled more times in the hip hop game than you can say "Funky Drummer"...I'm checkin'out prime cuts like "Pusherman", Freddie's Dead" and "Give Me Your Love"...while there are a couple of dated instrumentals on here ("Junkie Chase" and "Think") the unadulterated funkiness of the cuts mentioned earlier validifies the fact that Curtis Mayfield was way ahead of his time and everytime I listen and take a look back...I know that he was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home