Thursday, November 30, 2006

Rockin' Writers-- Happy Birthday Mark Twain & Jonathan Swift


...today's the birthday of Samuel Langhorne Clemens (nom de plume: Mark Twain) who was born in Florida, Missouri (1835). His novels that followed the adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer sated my Southerner's love for the outdoors as a child, as a man, I'm drawn to the dry and sometimes wry humor in his satirical pieces; essays and his quotes are awesome"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more" or "By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean." or the one that's printed on a wall just above my writing desk: "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live...dude surely knew how to turn a phase yo...



...another wordsmith came screaming into the world today as well-- Jonathan Swift who was born in Dublin (1667). While Swift tackled journalism, he managed to author a couple of books too, Gulliver's Travels is his most reknown...this too provided imaginary fuel during my youthful days which, in turn, stoked an adventurer's spirit, desire to learn about the world around me (very necessary if you want to join the writing game)...non-musical, I know but these are definitely two members of my Rockin' Writers list...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home