Monday, August 08, 2005

We Gotta Live Right! We Gotta Unite!

In light of what's currently taking place on that side of the world, it's hard not to question the geo-political goings-on that involves Robert Mugabe and his administration who are still calling all the shots in Zimbabwe. His rule, as is with most administrations -- especially the ones in regions where European colonialists gave up the ghost, leaving the people they'd robbed for centuries to their own devices -- has become questionable at best but that won't squelch my belief in the spirit of the people who live there, the regular Joes and their abilitiy to overcome obstacles that lie before them. I cribbed the title of this piece from Bob Marley's shaman-like display of testifying during the One Love Peace Concert where he had the temerity to get Michael Manley and Edward Seaga to join hands on stage, if only for a brief synergistic moment of showmanship amidst political postureing. The act spoke volumes about the juice Bob had by simply speaking truth to power, fueled by the reggae one-drop, fish tea and, of course, the lamb's bread. (read: ganga, weed or "the kind"). The OLPC would eventually pave the way for the Reggae Sunsplash concerts that would follow -- despite the third world Lollapolooza's that they've since become...Still, I think "Nesta's" message holds true now more than ever...


I just got in from a long bike ride and as I pulled into my driveway, Bob Marley's "Zimbabwe" from the Survival LP popped on my iPod Mini. The sun was shining. The L.A. weather was sweet. But,still, I couldn't forget that there was so much trouble in the world. I wondered, "does anybody recall what Bob sang about a quarter of a century ago" -- during the inaugural ceremonies that earmarked Great Britain's relenquishing of power over that small SE African natio's native-born political entities back in 1980 -- a year before Bob would die from cancer and slide off of this mortal, earthly coil. Mugabe was in attendance at the festivities back then but from what I'm seeing, he's become the very thing that he fought against during his rise to power...of course, I'd never get the real story unless I talked to the man, himself. I'd like to think that what I'm reading is 100%. Time will tell, like Marley sang on the tune "Zion Train:" '2000 years of history can't be wiped away so easily...Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver and gold.' Zimbabwe's a beautiful place with a lot of the human past seeping through its many rivers and foundations of stone dwelling. (I'm many things but a liar is not one of them,yo) Just in case you don't know the words to the tune he sang back in '80 celebration, I'll post them below...


ZIMBABWE

Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny.
And in this judgement there is no partiality.
So arm in arms, with arms, we'll fight this little struggle,
'Cause that's the only way we can overcome our little trouble.

Chorus:
Brother, you're right, you're right,
You're right, you're right, you're
SO RIGHT!
We gonna fight (we gon' fight),

we'll have to fight (we gon' fight),
We gonna fight (we gon' fight),
FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS!


Natty Dread it inna - Zimbabwe;
Set it up inna - Zimbabwe;
Mash it up, inna Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe);
Africans a-liberate - Zimbabwe, yeah.


No more internal power struggle;
We come together to overcome this little trouble.
So, soon we'll find out who is the REAL REVOLUTIONARY.
'Cause I don't want my people to be -- contrary.

(Chorus)

Mash it up inna - Zimbabwe;
Natty trash it inna - Zimbabwe;
Africans a-liberate Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe);
I-n-I a-liberate Zimbabwe.


(Chorus)

To divide and rule could only tear us apart;
In everyman chest, mm - there beats a heart.
So -- soon we'll find out who is the REAL REVOLUTIONARY;
And I don't want my people to be tricked by mercenaries.

(Chorus)

...Set it up in-a Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe);
Africans a-liberate Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe);
Every man got a right to decide his own destiny...



Word is bond, Black man. (italics and bold print mine) I'd like to quote Paula Cole in closing: where in the FUCK have all the cowboys gone? We should be so lucky to get pop artists to ante up and take a stand every couple of years or so these days...Yippie ki-yay, mofos...and remember: he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day...Laters...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home